Conventional medicine states that there is nothing that can be done for a child with an autism spectrum diagnosis except external therapies. I beg to differ. While there is no doubt that these therapies are crucial to help kids that are on the spectrum, there is a growing body of research into multiple potential underlying causes that are driving the autism epidemic.
- Neuroinflammation: An imbalance between stimulatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters, subclinical seizures, central nervous system nutrient deficiencies (cerebral folate deficiency, etc.)
- Mitochondrial dysfunction: The powerhouses of the cells are not functioning properly for various reasons (genetic, environmental) which reduce the organs ability to generate proper energy to optimize its function.
- Immune dysregulation: An imbalance between various branches of the immune system causing excessive pro-inflammatory chemicals in the body, brain, etc. due to gut imbalance, chronic infections, allergies/ intolerances, etc.
- Gut issues: alterations in the gut microbiome balance and the consequent alteration of intestinal permeability, altered triggering/stimulation of the immune system as a result make for abdominal pain, abnormal stool findings, and potentially various bio-active chemicals that are then absorbed through the intestinal wall that may affect the child’s mood, functioning, nutrient absorption and more.
- Environmental toxins: The multiple chemicals found in our food, water, air, medicines, etc. is likely a contributing factor to the various dysfunctions already mentioned—which creates a “vicious circle” where the function works worse, making it more difficult to clear the toxin, which continues to worsen the dysfunction, and so on.
- Genetic susceptibilities: Various single nucleotide polymorphisms (“SNP”s) like MTHFR, DHPR, COMT, MAO, CBS mutations may allow these various contributing factors to negatively affect function
To determine to what degree these are affecting your child, I do the following:
- Extensive history taking with the first visit lasting approximately 1 ½ hours with follow-ups lasting 1 hour to really get to know your child’s history and best decide where to help them maximize function.
- Extensive conventional (Quest/Labcorp) and integrative lab testing including things like food sensitivity testing, comprehensive digestive stool analysis, organic acids testing, nutrient analysis, hair element analysis, methyl genetics testing, etc. through labs like Genova, Doctor’s Data, Great Plains Labs, ALCAT, Cyrex, and more…
- Recommendations on diet, vitamins and various supplements to help support the body’s functioning and thereby optimizing their and health and wellness.
- I am currently performing these consultations at Rossignol Medical Center, please call there for additional information.