Anti-inflammatory Turmeric Tea
- 5 inches of turmeric
- 5 tamarind pods
- 2 limes
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1-2 lemons
- 4 cups water
1. Place the peeled turmeric in a large pot with the 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.2. Meanwhile, place the tamarind in a saucepan with an inch of water. Bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the paste, until the seeds start to come loose. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
3. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and press the tamarind and liquid through with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
4. When the turmeric is soft, transfer it to a blender jar with about a cup of the water. Process it until smooth, careful not to let the hot liquid splash out.
5. Add the tamarind paste to the blender, along with the lemon juice. process until smooth. With the blender running, slowly add the rest of the turmeric water.
6. Pour the mixture in to a large bowl, then whisk in the honey a bit at a time, until it reaches the sweetness you desire. Then transfer to a storage container or bottle. Makes about 5 cups.
Note: Turmeric STAINS, so I recommend using a glass storage container, though it will stain as well. If straining Tamarind seems a bit daunting, you can also buy tamarind paste premade at most health food stores