Shiitake Mushroom Seaweed Soup : Thyroid Immune Boosting soup
This combination of seaweed and shiitake mushrooms add an extra boost of minerals, especially iodine which protects the Thyroid.
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 7 whole dried medium shiitake mushrooms
- 6 cups warm water
- 4 medium-sized pieces wakame seaweed
- 1/2 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 3 TBS dry vegetable stock or bone broth
- 2 TBS chopped dulse seaweed
- 2 TBS Tamari sauce
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 2 TBS chopped green scallions for garnish
- sea salt and pepper to taste (Use Himalayan Pink Salt as it has 84 minerals)
- Rinse mushrooms and wakame and soak in 2 cups of warm water for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Save water.
- Heat 1 TBS mushroom-seaweed water in medium-sized soup pot. Add onion and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for another minute.
- When mushrooms and wakame are soft, slice the mushrooms thin and chop the seaweed. Cut out stems when slicing mushrooms and discard. Add to soup pot along with soaking water, and 4 more cups of water and vegetable stock or bone broth. Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add dulse.
- Once it boils, reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for about 8-10 minutes. Season with Tamari sauce, rice vinegar, sea salt, and pepper. Add scallions and serve.